Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ok here is one that annoys me. This blog is dedicated to "passing the buck", working harder at getting out of work than you actually would if you were working. Passing off work to the next shift which only adds to their already strenuous load. Flat out lying to your relief telling them that the sugar hoppers were out and all you needed to do was spot the empties.

That being said I am only the switchman, otherwise known as the FNG, low man on the totem pole etc, I was informed last night that I had been making some inappropriate comments about others for my time of service. No problem there I will drastically scale back the facetious comments. Sorry RT no such luck on the OLD age cracks I've scaled them back as much as possible already. But back to the source of my ramble this morning. Lazy people that think it is ok to screw the other guy just so they can get out of work. What is your problem with your job? You are paid to come to work to work, regardless of when you actually have to start said work. Be it the moment you punch in or a bit after you get on the motor. You are not paid to set in the yard office, you are not paid to cry about the yardmaster that is out to screw you out of your down time. You are getting a very good salary for what you do and your job is not hard.

That annoyance out of the way there is nothing hard about my job. Yeah sometimes I have to go right to work, sometimes I have to work all night with only a few minutes of down time. BIG EFFING DEAL!!!! I don't think that any of the people that I work with save a handful have ever had a job requiring hard manual labor. Sure I do a lot of walking, sure I lace a lot of hoses and even bleed air off quite a few cars. I make 18.20 an hour on regular time so you know what I will do whatever I am told to do. I am not going to always like it, I am not going to always agree with it, I am going to get aggravated quite often. Once again BIG EFFING DEAL!!!!! Suck it Up and Drive On, SUDO. One of my DI's favorite sayings back in good ole FT Sill OK. No matter how bad work gets, how messed up our moves are, how bad the yardmaster messes up our plans. I know ya got bigger things to worry about than our moves Scott, and I also know you take care of us when you can, and that is very much appreciated.

We are night shift, The A Team, where buck stops. We don't pass on work when there is work to be done. We are paid until we clock out and we are not afraid of work, so what if we have to work a few minutes over we get paid well for it. And I think we are the best crew around the backside, each day we get better and better. I still make an occasional stupid mistake but I recover and do not make the same mistake often. I am still learning my job and all my switches locations, no it's not easy staying on task 100% of the time and I still try to count my engineer down to the wrong switch on occasion. But in my humble and semi valuable opinion "it is my opinion that my opinion is semi valuable" I am getting better and coming up with better and better ideas on occasion.

All things said and off my chest it is time for me to begin winding down for the evening. I have got my steak in the fridge "unthawing" and it should be good and ready for the grill in the morning.

As Always

Love me or hate me, You will remember me

The Ramblin Hillbilly

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

This old man will one day unthaw your ass...

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home